The purpose of the LPG Vehicle Scheme is to increase the use of LPG as a transport fuel. The grant is to provide an incentive for prospective buyers of private use vehicles to purchase new LPG vehicles or to convert petrol or diesel vehicles to LPG.
Before deciding to participate in the LPG Vehicle Scheme you should consider the costs and benefits of using LPG, including the purchase cost of an LPG vehicle and/or system, and the longer term prospects for LPG prices compared with the costs and benefits of the purchase and operation of an alternative fuel vehicle.
For more detailed information regarding the LPG Vehicle Scheme please read the LPG Vehicle Scheme Customer Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
The LPG Vehicle Scheme is administered by AusIndustry under the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education, and applications are processed by the Department of Human Services. On 1 July 2011, the Australian Government Department of Human Services began delivering the services and payments provided previously by Medicare Australia, Centrelink and the Family Assistance Office.
All enquiries regarding the LPG Vehicle Scheme should be directed to the AusIndustry hotline 13 28 46.
There are different grants available, subject to eligibility criteria:
- For the LPG conversion of a registered vehicle:
- $1,250 for a conversion completed between 1 July 2011 and 30 June 2012; or
- $1,000 for a conversion completed between 1 July 2012 and 30 June 2013; or
- $1,000 for a conversion completed between 1 July 2013 and 30 June 2014.
- For the purchase of a new vehicle fitted with LPG prior to first registration:
- $2,000 – this includes vehicles fitted with LPG at time of manufacture and vehicles fitted with LPG after manufacture but before first registration.
From 1 July 2011 the LPG Vehicle Scheme is capped at 25,000 eligible claims paid in each financial year for the duration of the LPG Vehicle Scheme.
As a registered vehicle owner you are entitled to apply for an LPG Vehicle Scheme grant up to 12 months after the date of the LPG conversion or new LPG vehicle purchase.
You are eligible to apply for a grant if you:
- have not received a grant under the LPG Vehicle Scheme in the previous three or more years; and
- have either converted a registered vehicle to LPG or purchased a new vehicle with an LPG unit fitted before the vehicle is registered; and
- are able to provide proof that you have paid for the LPG conversion or new vehicle purchase. For LPG conversions, you need to provide proof that you have paid for both parts AND installation.
You may be eligible to apply for one grant every three or more years, regardless of the number of eligible vehicles registered in your name.
The minimum three years is calculated:
- from the date of the LPG conversion or new vehicle purchase that was the subject of the previous grant
- to the date of application for the subsequent grant.
Eligible vehicles must be less than 3.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass and be registered or declared for private use.
For vehicles converted to LPG:
- the vehicle must be registered in your name at the date of LPG conversion; or
- if you purchase a vehicle and then convert it to LPG prior to registration transfer into your name, the vehicle must be registered in your name at the time you make your grant application.
You must also provide proof that you purchased the vehicle prior to the LPG conversion.
For new vehicles fitted with an LPG unit before being registered:
- you are the first registered owner of the vehicle; and
- the vehicle is registered in your name at the time of purchase.
A private use vehicle is a vehicle registered for private/family use. If registration regulations in your State/Territory do not differentiate between private use and other kinds of use (such as business or commercial use), you will be required to declare the vehicle for private use on the application form.
A vehicle is NOT ELIGIBLE if it is:
- subject to a novated lease at the date of LPG conversion or the date of purchase of the new LPG vehicle
- financed through salary sacrifice arrangement at the date of LPG conversion or the date of purchase of the new LPG vehicle
- a motor scooter, tricycle or boat
- only authorised to travel on public roads in limited specified circumstances, such as a classic car.
Repairs, maintenance or upgrades to an existing LPG system are not eligible for a grant.
For further details on program eligibility criteria please read the LPG Vehicle Scheme Customer Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
You can only apply for the grant when the conversion or new vehicle purchase is complete and paid for.
You must submit your LPG Vehicle Scheme application within 12 months from the date of the LPG conversion or the date of purchase of a new LPG vehicle.
You must use the latest application form available from the AusIndustry hotline 13 28 46, ausindustry.gov.au, or your local Service Centre delivering Centrelink and/or Medicare services.
You can lodge your completed LPG Vehicle Scheme Application Form in person at your local Service Centre delivering Centrelink and/or Medicare services, or by post to:
Department of Human Services
LPG Claim Processing Unit
Reply Paid 7816
CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
Supporting documents (current proof of identity, vehicle registration papers and proof of payment for the LPG conversion or new vehicle purchase) will be copied and certified at your local Service Centre delivering Centrelink and/or Medicare services.
If sending your application by post, your supporting documents must be sighted and certified as true copies of the originals by a Justice of the Peace or a Commissioner for Declarations.
Note: There may be links contained within this document which will transfer you from the AusIndustry website. AusIndustry does not have responsibility for these external websites nor does linking constitute any form of endorsement.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF files. To access functionality in PDF 'smart forms', including some application forms you will need at least Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.1 or above. You can download a free copy from the Adobe web site.
If you have any problems accessing an attached file, please contact the AusIndustry Hotline on 13 28 46 or firstname.lastname@example.org.